We are all violent bastards... Or are we?
Please read this first, then come back here.
Have you read it? Good. What did it tell you? Did it tell you that on the whole, our nation is less violent than it was 10 to 15 years ago? Did it tell you that crime among 14-17 year-olds is at the lowest level it's ever been? Did it tell you that most of the kids in this less-violent demographic have played video games at some point? Did it tell you that of the video games produced in 2004, a whopping 54% were rated "E" for everyone? Did it tell you that again, a whopping 55% of the movies released since 1968 have had an "R" rating?
Did it tell you that there is no epidemic of violence in our schools? Did it tell you that it's solely media hype that has perpetrated this image?
I hope it did. So let's get Congress back to talking about important stuff, like baseball players taking steroids and whatever stupid crap we can think up instead of dealing with problems that are actually, well, problems. Like maybe this war thing that doesn't seem scheduled to be wrapping up at any point in my lifetime. Or maybe social security, which is destined not to exist by the end of my lifetime. Thanks.






8 Comments:
Excellent article. But we always blame the parents anyway. I'll be forwarding that link on. Thanks.
ok, I am going against you on this one...as a mom of an 8 year old, I have to say that there is no way he is going to get Grand Theft Auto. Ever. He has played Halo 2, 007, Wolfenstein and many other shoot-em-up games and I really believe that they stimulate him in a negative way. Sure, he could probably be a sharpshooter, but I don't need him acting out stealing cars and making the bad guys heros. I have already had to wash his mouth out this week because he referred to his privates as a "trouser snake". Thanks, Austin Powers...
I'm not saying he should be allowed to play it. He's only 8.
I'm saying that there is no youth crime epidemic. It's a myth.
I'm also saying that there is no reason to ban or censor games when there's a clearly marked warning on the front of each game case that says "M, 17+" on it. You're one of the parents that actually gives a shit about what your child plays or watches. The problem is that you are in a vast, vast majority who would rather have something other than their terrible parenting skills to blame when their kids become fuckups.
My point is that video games have become the catch-all excuse when poor parenting rears its ugly head. Kids today are less violent than when I was a kid. Fact. Provided by the Department of Justice, no less. I shouldn't have to give up something I enjoy because parents refuse to pay attention to what their kids are seeing and playing... And that hasn't been proven to have any influence whatsoever.
And don't even get me started about the fact that they want to ban the new GTA due to sexual content. It's pretty funny that in a game where you can kill more civilians than the World Trade Center attacks the fact that there's a poorly rendered (and fully clothed) sex game that you need a Gameshark to unlock is the trouble just boggles my mind. I guess it's better to shoot somebody than to have consensual sex with them. Who knew?
thank you. censorship is what happens in dictatorships. oh wait...
When there's a problem in society, I blame teachers. Seriously, those lazy ass bastards.
Especially those damn secondary English teachers - they don't know shit and they're trying to teach MY KID some English?!?!
Fuck that shit, I ain't the one....
graphs???
you had me link to graphs???
it's meeting wednesday.. no more graphs!
but it's true.. the media is just fishing for scapegoats!
I like Ratchet and Clank.
Post a Comment
<< Home