Six Weeks. AKA Get A Move On.
Welcome to 2007! I guess this means I'm back to the whole blogiverse thing. I bring you no "missions" this year, though. I think we all know how last year's ended up, now don't we? In spite of all my positivity, let's just say I fell a little short in those (2-drink limit, anyone?) And, of course, it's more fun to make up missions as I go. I figure why cram them all into the beginning of the year when I've got a whole rest of the year to work with, right? Yes, this is my pre-made excuse for later in the year. I'm just sayin'.
Alright, music, if you want it.
So, anyway, the title of this post! I know there was a short-lived, long-deleted post (that nobody but me could read) with the title "Six Weeks" which happened to be posted six weeks ago. Go figure! What did it mean? Well, the meaning's changed quite a bit since then, but it's still got some validity for me. Anyway, it's kind of my new philosophy. Give everything six weeks. Thinking about selling your house? If you're not still motivated to do it in six weeks, then you know what? Stay. Thinking about getting a new job? If you still hate your job after six weeks, it's time to get motivated. (Note: just an example, my job is still great, thanks.) Want to learn to play guitar? See if you still want to get lessons in six weeks. That last breakup mess you up good? Trust me, in six weeks it won't matter to you like you thought it did. Need a blog hiatus? Give it six weeks. Don't feel like coming back just yet? Then give it another six weeks. Pretty easy philosophy to follow, isn't it?
You see, the thing is that a lot can happen in six weeks. Six weeks can feel like a lifetime in the right situation. But you know what? In the big scheme of things, six weeks is nothing at all. What it is is just enough time to determine whether or not you're doing the right thing. Whether or not you've made the right choice. And it's just enough time to change your mind if you haven't. It's the cutoff point for either keeping the status quo or getting a move on. Give it six weeks, make a decision and then stop thinking about it, for god's sake!
Let's call that my new year's mission. Get a move on so I don't get left behind. Check in with me about it around Valentine's Day. I'm sure you guys are smart enough to do the math on that one. Coincidentally, that's about when I'll be taking down my Christmas tree, too. Just a little FYI for you.
Coming later this week: Something that's not all introspective and stuff and actually fits the title of "More Junk." Rejoice! It'll be like the old days! Honest! It's good to be back!

7 Comments:
Yeah for Sixweeksism! Excellent philosophy. In fact I think you should write a book about it, but then you'd just put it off for six weeks...then another and another :-)
Like I said, Maki has turned into a philosopher. You will go down in history as an existential philosopher, who discovered that six weeks is enough for anything. Genius. Good to have you back again.
I am so glad you're back, I was starting to feel like it was Groundhog Day.
Side note: there is a girl at work who says "philosophizer" and it drives me nuts. She also says "conversate". She also makes more money than I do.
I just made the mistake of reading Lindsay's comment about "conversate." I weep for the future.
Glad to have you back. I like the 6-week thing. I'm the queen of impulse buys and the phrase "I should start ...." and then the next day I'm wondering why I bought a $1 hand-held massager and why I thought learning to play the harmonica would be a good idea.
I know a lot of philosophizers who conversate lengthily about very important topics. They don't make any money, but claim to be smart.
Holly: My book would probably be only as long as this post. Care to buy it?
Jacob: I'll be back for only six weeks. It's an evaluationary period. It will be less philosomiphized than it's been lately, though.
Lindsay: Is her name George W. Bush?
Kate: Maybe because everything is better when accompanied by harmonica?
Melis: You get what you pay for, y'know. And no, don't expect any movie or CD reviews. As long as it's a Louis Vuitton eyepatch, I'm cool with it.
Happy New Year Maki!
Post a Comment
<< Home