Does this make me a bad person?
A little while back I went out with this girl on a kind of "friends set you up" type thing. I guess you could call it a blind date. Yeah, it was a blind date. I didn't want to say it, but I guess, yeah, it was. Anyway, she was cute, friendly in a good way (as in not overanxiously friendly) and in pretty good shape, which helps. We had a nice dinner and talked for a bit at the coffee shop afterwards. Unfortunately, by the end of the evening it was apparent that we had no chemistry and we really didn't share any common interests. The date ended on the usual, "I had fun, thanks, see ya," type goodbye. A good time was had by all, but not that good a time. I'd say, "an okay time was had by all," but that just doesn't sound right. Regardless, it wasn't gonna work out.
Anyway, one of the people involved in the setup saw her at a party recently. It turns out she's put on quite a bit of weight since I went out with her. When I was told this, my brain's electrical impulses immediately went to the "relief" pattern. The only thing that went through my brain was, "Whew, I really dodged a bullet there!" Am I really that shallow? I mean, really. The girl was nice enough, and I doubt I was any sort of reason for her to go into a depressive cycle which caused her to gain tons of weight or anything, but I didn't feel bad for her at all. No sympathy, no empathy, no concern. I just thought about what a relief it was that I wasn't stuck dating her when she put on that weight as an automatic reaction. I still don't really care, other than how it affects my self-image.
It just makes me think that I really am as shallow as I joke to my friends about being. It's like every time I wonder if I'm too shallow, I answer my own question by scooping another bucket out of the pool. I guess I really am a bad person. That's alright, though, as long as it means I don't have an overweight girlfriend, right?

9 Comments:
And you wonder why you don't have a girlfriend ...
Ah, c'mon. I thought women usually went for shallow assholes? I guess I have to work on the asshole part now. Good times!
Not this woman but then again I'm a bisexual pagan so I guess you can't judge anyone by my tastes ...
Aw.
At least you realize you're shallow!
Better than just thinking "Whew! Dodged THAT bullet!"
And then nothing.
that's not shallow. shallow would be if you had really liked her and you thought that.
why did you need to justify not being in a relationship that you had no reason to be in? heh.
Because I'm prone to crippling self-analysis, pretty much.
I love how all the women have commented and all the guys are staying as far the hell away from this one as possible. Not surprising, but still...
There's some lady from Florida Metropolitan University here trying to scam the students, so I have a second now as the guy who set you up here and the guy who reported the weightgain to weigh in, so to speak.
Your standards are ridiculously high. I've set you up, or have tried to set you up with chicas of a quality, and not one attempt has born any fruit. I'm running out of women here, unless you want me to delve into the crazies.
To sum up, this constant rejection is hurting my feelings. Humor me and at least get a second date kicking. I thank you in advance for cooperation.
Matt, Mandy is evidence that my standards aren't as high as you act like they are. We both know the first girl was never gonna work out, regardless of how many times you insisted it should, so don't even try that. This girl might have worked out if we had thing one in common, which we didn't.
To really boil it all down to a base level, I require only two things in a girlfriend -- mutual attraction and mutual interests. The first girl had the latter down, the second girl had the former down. Gonna need both at the same time, my man...
Now update your damn blogs. I'm sick of being the only one keeping up with this. Why do I post links to you guys, again?
Post a Comment
<< Home