Sunday, October 15, 2006

"Just wait 'til tomorrow, I guess that's what they always say, just before they fall apart..."


It seems the blogosphere is dying. There used to be this thriving network of blogs and posters and commenters and it just seems to have shriveled up to only a few of the stalwarts. Some of us promise updates in a few days, some of us promise nothing, some of us announce our departure and some of us just kind of vanish altogether without so much as a goodbye. A lot of the links on my sidebar fell under those categories. I guess I've kind of fallen somewhere inbetween since I never really stopped posting, but my heart just hasn't been in it. Certainly not like it was a year ago or even six months ago. Hell, read anything in the "greatest hits" bar on the right and you'll realize how much funnier and cohesive I used to be, at least in the blog universe.

I went back and re-read the majority of this blog recently. It's funny to see how inversely proportional my output was to how well my life was going. The more fun I was having, the happier I was, it seems like the less I found the need to write up posts observing the stupid stuff I saw and the random thoughts in my head. Thing is, I'm kind of a different person than I was when this blog began. I laughed, I cried, I got a free Egg & Muffin Toaster. I've made plenty of changes in my life and made plenty of friends since then, too. Some as a direct result of what I've written here, strangely enough. I'm also a lot busier than I've ever been. It's easy to write up a story about something silly that happened while you were at lunch when you get home from work at 6pm. Getting home at 11pm? Well, writing these posts the way I want to write them is time-consuming. And let's just say I've found other things to consume my time. And not just cable TV. Honest. I'd like to think most of my readers are bright enough to figure out what else it could be. Or Lindsay will have lots of fun making guesses. Probably a little of both. Either way, I'm a lot happier right now and I guess that means my output will be inversely proportional to that, now won't it?

So yes, this is my roundabout way of saying I'm taking a hiatus. Can I guarantee I'll be back? No, not necessarily. But thanks to those of you who've been checking in on a daily basis even though I show up only once a week or so and it's only to complain about how busy I am. Or talk about TV. But I'd rather take my time and post something really funny like I used to rather than put something here just for the sake of having an update. I'm sure you'll agree. No, not really? Well okay, FINE THEN. Either way, thanks. You guys really do rock.

Yes, this whole post was just an excuse to post the comic up top. See ya when I see ya, kids.

9 Comments:

At 9:31 AM, October 16, 2006, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Just so you know, I've been checking every day, even though I haven't really been commenting.

Come back.

Hey, maybe if you do a good enough post with Calvin and Hobbes, you will get a free copy of the $150 The Complete Calvin and Hobbes.

Be happy.

 
At 9:44 AM, October 16, 2006, Blogger Maki said...

Melis: Thanks!

Jacob: Would it be bad to mention that I had the Complete Calvin & Hobbes pre-ordered on Amazon with next-day shipping so I'd have it the day it came out? I'm kinda-sorta way too big a fan and all.

Bonus points to whoever knows what song this post's title comes from... And no googling!

 
At 10:38 AM, October 16, 2006, Blogger Unknown said...

What the hell am I supposed to do with my life now????????

I hope you come back and post when things get settled down. It's nice to read about your life whether it's happy, sad, angry or annoyed.

Just to let you know I had to go clean the spit up off me and Emily before I finished my comment. I guess Emily wanted to comment too :-)

 
At 11:17 AM, October 16, 2006, Blogger Star Droppings said...

For some reason, this blog gives me images of you walking into the sunset on a road somewhere in Arizona with one of those stick-and-hankerchief things.

Only yours isn't full of provisions and clean socks. It's full of condoms and lube. Off you go, buddy.

 
At 9:22 PM, October 16, 2006, Blogger Blue Dog Art said...

Dude, I know exactly how you feel. Just so you know, I've really enjoyed your blog and your commenter friends are the best. You'll be missed here in DC!

 
At 2:34 PM, October 17, 2006, Blogger Alonzo Mosley (FBI) said...

Well that sucks mightily, Maki, but I completely understand.

Incidentally, thanks for the belated happy birthday and also thanks (belated) for telling me about Cinemarati. Out of the past two quizes, I was the first to guess one of the movies out of each. Very tough.

 
At 11:49 AM, October 19, 2006, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Maki, don't go!

It's funny, I was thinking the exact same thing, though. I've realized that a lot of people these days aren't posting as often. The blog world (as I know it) seems to be in a slump. We're all just too damned happy and busy.

 
At 4:22 PM, October 19, 2006, Blogger Kait said...

The life outside of the internet is pretty appealing anymore. I can't blame you.

 
At 12:02 AM, October 20, 2006, Blogger Matt said...

I come today not to bury Maki, but to praise him.

Maki is a good real person friend of mine. We started our blogs at almost the same times with no expectations or goals. As time's arrow flew ever forward, as it is wont to do, Maki's distinctive voice began to shine through, as well as a definitive tone for his blog.

From humble beginnings and a truly terrible name arose a place for a truly frightening number of people to come hear the a somewhat curmudgeonly, though always good-hearted and very, very funny man's thoughts on life, love, appliances, movies and music. Maki captured an audience*. If he went out on top a couple of months ago, there would be about 59 comments begging him to stay.

But he is right. Maki's inspiration came from him being miserable (well, not exactly miserable. He always had me). Maki is happy now, for numerous reasons that I will not get in to, but...

No, I just won't get into them. He is, however, thinking about starting an all-music blog. Beg him to do this. His taste is damn near impeccable and he understands things like "melody" or whatever. Also, a film review blog should not be out of the question.

Basically, the dude is a writer and I think he should be writing something.

Come back soon.

See you Saturday.

Or maybe tomorrow if you're drinking after the movie.

*Meanwhile, I spent a month pretending a Starbucks had moved into my condo and wrote two episodes of a 24 spinoff staring myself. I don't actually wonder why I never really gained much of an audience.

I am posting new stuff though. Come on by. I don't have a fancy logo, but sooner or later, I'll be shirtless again.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home