Wednesday, October 04, 2006

Progress report

Holy crap, is it October already? Insanity. Another week of non-blogging for me, it appears. I bring good news, though! I must admit that week two of me being corporate trainer new system guru is going much better than week one did. I've actually spent more than 10 minutes at my desk, which is a pretty good thing. The bad thing is that I've found like 3 trillion things I have to fix now in the system... And they're all kind of intertwined so I can't just fix one and move on. I have to fix part of one, fix something else that it breaks, go back and finish fixing the original thing, but then cross-check it with 3 other things to make sure it didn't break any of them. Then find out it broke 2 of the 3. It's that sort of system. It's kinda like tying your shoes while combing your hair while using your electric razor... All while driving to work. In a stick shift. While drinking coffee. Not that I've ever done that.

Anyway, it's a good thing I can be at my desk to do all that problem-juggling. Now, me being at my desk is either a really good thing or a really bad thing. Either the majority of people that I was kind of annoyed with and ranted about a little last week have either picked up the system faster than I anticipated (which is entirely possible) or they've become afraid of me at this point and don't want to ask me the same questions I got snarky about with last week (also entirely possible). I'm leaning towards the former since nobody's lost their mind yet and nobody's run out of the building screaming, either. At least I hope that's how things are going down. I will say that the two biggest problem children have improved greatly in the past week, which definitely gives me a better feeling about everyone else. Sure they still have their questions, but at least they're not just parroting what I tell them while complaining and acting like they have no desire to learn. I'm all for improvement, since it makes my life that much easier as I navigate the Rube Goldberg-like maze that is our new system during that vast amount of daily time we in the industry call "free time." And for all one of you that know my workplace, the two problem kids are from different areas so they have completely different sets of problems and questions. Always fun to not only shift gears from my problems but to shift gears between their problems also.

So yeah, I just spent my weekly post talking about work again. That's what my life has come to. Count your blessings... I could be bitching about the Twins losing today. Even though Santana started. At home no less. Dammit, I'm just getting angry. Frank Thomas must die. Maybe of old age at this point. Dammit. Leaving now.

6 Comments:

At 6:09 AM, October 04, 2006, Anonymous Anonymous said...

'Problem children' is probably the most accurate label you've used in a long time. But limiting it to two may be a bit generous on your part.
Keep up the good work, Problem-Solver Maki.

~ Ace Freely ~

 
At 8:05 AM, October 04, 2006, Blogger Maki said...

Nah, it really is only a couple at this point. I've already realized they're long-term projects. Last week I figured everyone was a long-term project, which was particularly frustrating. Not so much this week. Of course, we'll see next week...

 
At 10:00 AM, October 04, 2006, Blogger Unknown said...

Can you drink at work????

 
At 10:16 AM, October 04, 2006, Blogger Maki said...

No.

 
At 11:23 AM, October 05, 2006, Anonymous Anonymous said...

You can do anything you put your mind to.

 
At 12:09 PM, October 05, 2006, Blogger Unknown said...

I was really expecting you to say "yes". Really.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home