Friday, November 18, 2005

I can't feel my toes.

I think I'm going to move to Chicago. At least, I will if it means that I'll have easy access to Giordano's famous stuffed deep-dish pizza. Damn. I mean, DAMN. We had some before making the 90-minute journey from Chicago-Midway Airport to South Bend, Indiana. Highly recommended. Almost made it worth flying to Midway instead of direct to South Bend. Almost.

This afternoon I waited in line for tickets to the Notre Dame pep rally. It was 33 degrees out. Now, for those of you who live up north, this is warm weather. Balmy, even. For someone who has lived in Florida his entire life, this is cold. I mean, like FRIGGIN' COLD weather. Not the type of weather one spends two hours outside on his feet waiting for tickets to a free pep rally in. Not at all. But I did it anyway. It wasn't too bad at first, but by the time it was done I was quite convinced that frostbite had set in on my poor toes. Remember this, all of you that wear steel-toed boots: that steel will get cold. If it's right by your toes, they will get cold. Then you will have to walk around like a gimpy moron for the rest of the day because no matter what you do, short of setting them on fire, your toes will not warm up. Life is pain in the frozen tundra.

The pep rally was a lot of fun. It was one of those things that makes me regret going to a small school with no history and even less school spirit. When you can fill an entire on-campus arena with people who are only there to cheer on the team and listen to the coach speak, it really makes you wonder why you chose to go to a tiny school that had to move its games into an ancient gymnasium since they couldn't fill the arena they used to play in. Granted, I wouldn't trade a single one of the friends I made in school for that experience, but it doesn't mean I can't regret it just a little.

Tomorrow I sit in the student section and get to watch ND beat up on the Syracuse Orangemen. Oh, sorry, the Syracuse Orange. They are not men anymore. Now they are simply a color. At least I don't feel dumb having gone there, huh?

The keyboard on my sister's laptop sucks so I am ending here. Stay warm, kids.

Oh yeah, happy 30th b-day, PK. Damn, you old now and stuff. Sorry I'm not there to help you celebrate. Next year for 31, I guess...

7 Comments:

At 8:04 AM, November 19, 2005, Blogger Unknown said...

Sounds like you are having fun. It's a nice balmy 60 something down here though...no frozen toes for us :-)

 
At 10:21 AM, November 19, 2005, Anonymous Anonymous said...

My toes are frozen.

 
At 12:35 PM, November 19, 2005, Blogger ClrkGriswald said...

I would have given my left....well....you know....for it to have been 33 degrees outside on the days I was walking to our high school with our buddy DiSano. 33 degrees would have been like our version of Key West outside, but NOOOOOO - it was usually fucking 15 degrees out with a nice, crisp wind blowing right through you on most mornings walking to good ol' Pilgrim HS. Shiiiiit.

 
At 10:51 AM, November 21, 2005, Blogger Jax Peach said...

a) Re: small schools and regretting not going to a bigger one: that's what grad school is for (that way, you get to have the big fish in a small pond experience, and the drunk fish in a large pond experience too. . .er, that was my experience at least). b) Toes get frozen despite absence of cold metal tips. c) In the South, instead of it being 15 degrees OUTSIDE, it's so warm outside, they crank the air down to 15 degrees INSIDE. My toes are cold NOW in fact, sitting at my office desk. Of course, I am wearing sandals in November.

 
At 2:33 PM, November 21, 2005, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I am from Chicago. You are right. 33 degrees is superb weather. We have been having weather in the 20s with windchills in the single digits.

Giordanno's: I work in corporate training. When we have a class that is long (a week or two) I ALWAYS buy Giordanno's for my classes. Even their thin crust is crazy! I had a guy from NY in my class and he was going apeshit about this pizza. They are everywhere here. I also heard from someone that they have a deep dish shrimp pizza. Makes me want to barf, but this dude said it was good. I would reccommend the "tropical delight" (pineapple and ham) It sounds strange, but the pineapple's sweetness is perfectly offset by the tomato sauce and the cheese. The ham is just tasty.

 
At 8:55 PM, November 21, 2005, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Two words for you: Thermal Underwear.

 
At 1:12 AM, November 23, 2005, Blogger Maki said...

Wow, I need to respond to my comments more often...

Holly & Kitkat: It is much easier to get frozen toes than you think.

Mark: See, this is why I love the fact that I've lived in Florida all my life.

PK: Still bummed I missed it.

Jax Peach: I wish there was something worth going to grad school for. Maybe teaching classes might be my next endeavor. Any large school art programs out there that need a badass Photoshop/Illustrator/ InDesign/Quark guru?

I hate not being the one in control of the AC temperature at work. Too damn cold always.

Jacob: I think I need to take some of your training classes. We had the stuffed with canadian bacon, and damn was it good. Never been a fan of hawaiian pizza, though. And I can't eat shrimp. Just the smell of it makes me physically ill...

Julie: Got some now. I have to be prepared for Minnesota in December. How will that warm up my toes, though?

Umugore: I guess I was lucky Chicago was a toasty 22 degrees when I was there, then. I could totally see myself living there in the summer, though.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home