Thursday, January 19, 2006

This is what happens when I leave iTunes on shuffle.

Ocean's Twelve. Horrible, horrible movie. Fantastic soundtrack. Enjoy...

"What R We Stealing"


"7/29/04 The Day Of"

"Crepuscolo Sul Mare"

If you want your movie to at least sound cool, get David Holmes to score the damn thing. Soderberg's got the right idea...

BONUS! Ocean's Eleven was not only an immensely superior film, but it also had a soundtrack that was just as good. Here's my favorite track, a heavy reworking of Claude Debussy's "Claire De Lune" titled "Tess." This one has a completely different feel from the rest of the soundtrack, which is all about fun, fun, fun. Still good, either way.

Damn, I loved Ocean's Eleven, even if I shouldn't have. Call me a sucker for heist movies.

6 Comments:

At 11:53 PM, January 19, 2006, Blogger erl said...

You'll be happy to hear that recently I read that they are making an Oceans 13. Yes, another one.

You can thank the Gods of Brad Pitt for that shit.

 
At 8:40 AM, January 20, 2006, Blogger Alonzo Mosley (FBI) said...

Nothing to be ashamed of, Maki. Oceans Eleven is one of the best, most entertaining films ever made. Oceans Twelve ... well, nothing more needs to be said. You nailed it.

I got the soundtrack for the first one several months ago. Incredible music. It seems to me that some of the best heist movies I've seen have really good, idiosyncratic soundtracks. Sneakers and the remake of Thomas Crown Affair also come to mind.

 
At 9:20 AM, January 20, 2006, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I love Claire De Lune. I also love both of the Ocean's movie. Call me crazy. The second was not very good plotwise, but I enjoyed the way it looked, the music, some good lines, etc. I'm a simpleton.

 
At 9:45 AM, January 20, 2006, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I actually listened to all the music you posted. I liked "What R We Stealing" the best. I was all hyped up for O12, and then I was disappointed. Very contrived. Oceans 11, the original, was terrible. Sinatra and crew were obviously drunk the whole time and making up lines; which is what makes it so awesome. Same kind of commraderie on the set of this flick.

 
At 6:24 PM, January 20, 2006, Blogger Maki said...

The longest comment ever follows:

I wrote a huge e-mail rave for Ocean's Eleven and sent it out to the mailing list of my film class right after the movie came out. I'll have to dig that up and repost it, along with the rant I wrote for Ocean's Twelve, which was such a complete opposite that it wasn't even funny. With that said...

Liz: Ocean's Thirteen? Well, it could have potential if they don't try to adapt a heist script that had a single protagonist and try to make it work with 12 protagonists. (Which is what they did for O12, and it shows.) But that's a rant for another post...

Mr. Mosley: I'm not ashamed, O11 is one of my favorite movies so far this decade. I just really shouldn't have liked such a "Hollywood" film, since I tend to gravitate to the weirder, less mainstream stuff. But again, heist film.

I love that soundtrack so much. I love how divergent it is, and how stuff like "$160 Million Chinese Man" is a reworking of "A Little Less Conversation" that you don't really notice until later. The dialogue placed between tracks is well-chosen, too. Another great David Holmes soundtrack is the one for Out Of Sight, another Soderberg film (and my oft-mentioned fave ever). It's got that same 70s funky feel, but with a lot more sensuality. Too bad the dialogue used gives away EVERY important plot point of the movie, so don't ever listen to it before seeing the movie. It's likely out of print anyway, but I can be persuaded to share, of course.

Katie: I never like making people feel like they're dumb for enjoying a movie I hated (unless it's Van Helsing). As long as you enjoyed it, hey, more power to you. There's a lot to like in the film, yes, but there's a lot that bothers me much more than it would other people. I just can't brook a dude breakdancing to beat lasers and I had a lot of trouble not getting up and leaving the theater during the "Tess pretends to be Julia Roberts with Bruce Willis there" scene that lasted about 45 minutes longer than it should have. But I'm picky.

Jacob: The original Ocean's 11 was a strict vanity piece for the Rat Pack which sold on star power, even back then. The problem now is it's deathly boring and the heists are almost an afterthought. The remake sold on star power, but they at least took a great premise and made a great film out of it by focusing on the heist. That's where the sequel fails. The heists are macguffins and too low-stakes to match the first film. It also feels like a self-referential vanity piece (see: Julia Roberts scene, Clooney asking if he looks old, etc.)

Gotta love how my comment is about 10x longer than the actual post...

 
At 8:57 AM, January 21, 2006, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Yes, the part with Tess as Julia still makes me cringe.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home